Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Replay

Tuesday 3 October 2017

There was a feeling that Rangers might have missed their chance to progress further in this season’s FA Cup competition in Saturday’s first meeting and so it proved as they succumbed to National League North side Telford United in Tuesday’s replay.

The home side went at Rangers from the off and a corner from Henry Cowans caused problems in the Boro area until Elliot Newby shooting wide.

The Bucks’ positive start produced early rewards when another Cowans corner was hammered in from close range by Marcus Dinanga to put Telford ahead after just 6 mins.

Rangers nearly got back level when Jasbir Singh dropped a cross from Jack Sherratt but Dan Westwood’s shot was cleared by Jonathan Royle.

Telford looked threatening every time they pressed forward while Rangers looked unconvincing in clearing their lines but they survived another attack when Jordaan Brown blocked John Marsden’s shot before Newby headed wide.

Then Rangers grabbed a 15th minute equaliser. Listen Westwood picked out Jack Sherratt who played in Richard Gregory and he calmly side stepped Singh to bring the sides level.

A couple of Telford corners put Rangers under pressure again but Marsden, then Shane Sutton put their efforts over the top. Soon after, Adam Whitehouse saved from Marsden when the Telford man was well placed.

Rangers had their openings but Dan Westwood and Osebi Abadaki found their way to goal quickly closed down as half time came with the two sides still on level terms.

Gregory sent a 25 yard free kick just over the Telford bar early in the second half but when Telford struck twice in quick succession, the contest was all but over.

The Bucks went ahead on 56 minutes when Mat Bailey sliced the ball into his own net when trying to clear Dinanga’s header which looked to be missing the target then, six minutes later, the ball rebounded into the net off Anthony Dwyer after Dinanga’s initial header had been blocked.

Any lingering hopes Rangers had were well and truly extinguished on 78 minutes when Henry Cowans played in Jordan Murphy and the Telford sub calmly slotted past Adam Whitehouse to send the home side through.

Telford 1: Jasbir Singh, 2Ross White, 3 Jordan Gough, 4 Connor Johnson, 5 Shane Sutton, 6 Jonathan Royle, 7 Anthony Dwyer (16 Jordan Murphy 63m), 8 Henry Cowans (15 Jordan Lussey 84m), 9 Marcus Dinanga, 10 John Marsden (14 Louis McGrory 76m), 11 Elliot Newby. Unused subs: 12 Aaron Hayden, 13 Sheridan Martinez, 17 Matthew Barnes-Homer, 18 Will Marsh

Rangers: 1 Adam Whitehouse, 2 Sam Griffiths, 3 Kieren Westwood, 4 Jordaan Brown, 5 Mat Bailey, 6 Levi Reid (15 Joe Thomas 65m), 7 Osebi Abadaki (16 Izak Reid 65m), 8 Jack Sherratt, 9 Dan Westwood (14 Louis Briscoe 77m), 10 Richard Gregory, 11 Richard Batchelor. Unused Subs: 12 Kai Davis, 13 Brad Caswell, 17 Kieran Morris

Cautions: Sutton, Dwyer (Telford), Abadaki (Rangers)

Referee: Leigh Doughty

Att: 869

Chris Elsley