Chasetown 1-2 Stafford Rangers
Oct 31, 2018

Integro League Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 30 October 2018

Stafford Rangers progressed to the 3rd round of the Integro Cup but were made to work hard for it by Division One West side Chasetown. Both teams named strong line ups and it was Rangers who made the early running as they took the lead in the 4th minute through Jake Charles who converted a first time cross from Josh Green.


Chasetown responded and a counter attack, led by Danny Cocks put Tom Hill in but, with just Adam Whitehouse to beat, he lifted the ball over the bar. Izak Reid and Green both went just wide for Rangers before they doubled their lead on 17 minutes. Reid sent in a deep cross and Tom Thorley was left unmarked to volley in at the back post. Again, Chasetown had an early opportunity to respond as Jack Partridge found Will Whieldon in a yard of space but Adam Whitehouse parried away a good strike from the former Stafford triallist.

But Rangers were largely in control of the first half playing some good football and creating a number of chances but just unable to find that killer third goal. Theo Bailey-Jones struck a couple of efforts at Chasetown keeper Curtis Pond who then saved well with his feet to deny Charles.

Rangers made a couple of substitutions at half time while the home side made all three including the introduction of former Boro players Jack Langston and George Cater. And, within two minutes of the restart, they were back in the contest. A corner on the right came back out to Whieldon and he sent in a high cross which Whitehouse fumbled into the net under his bar. The Chasetown man got the credit but it was one that the Dubious Goals panel would have taken a good look at.

Chasetown looked more and more threatening as they searched for the equaliser. Whitehouse made amends for his earlier error with good saves from Whieldon, Langston and Cater but Chasetown’s hopes were dented with 7 minutes left when Cocks went flying in the area. Referee Scott Chalkley deemed it simulation and dismissed the Chasetown man for a second yellow. It may have been a lucky escape for Rangers as officials from both camps thought he had been clipped. Both sides missed out on chances in the final exchanges with Rangers’ Harry Benns denied by Pond while Whitehouse saved from Muzzy Nduna.

Chasetown: 1 Curtis Pond, 2 Harry Goode, 3 Matthew Hardiman, 4 Richard Smith (15 Jack Langston 46m) , 5 James O’Neill, 6 Ryan Wynter, 7 Jack Partridge, 8 Tom Urwin (14 George Cater 46m) , 9 Tom Hill (12 Muzzy Nduna 46m) , 10 Will Whieldon, 11 Danny Cocks. Unused Sub 16 Sam Luke (only 4 subs named)

Rangers: 1 Adam Whitehouse, 2 Lewis Banks, 3 James Askey, 4 Luke Jones, 5 Daniel Burns, 6 Josh Green (14 Andrai Jones 64m), 7 Theo Bailey-Jones, 8 Jack Sherratt (12 Ethan Stanton 46m), 9 Jake Charles, 10 Tom Thorley, 11 Izak Reid (16 Harry Benns 46m). Unused Subs 15 Joe Cuff, 17 Ben Chilcott

Cautions: Hardiman, Wynter (Chasetown) Reid, Bailey-Jones (Rangers)

Sent Off: Cocks (Chasetown) – 2 cautions

Referee: Scott Chalkley

Att: 198

Report: Chris Elsley

Match Report Sponsorship

Are you interested in sponsorship of all our match reports?

If so, please complete our form below and one of our sales team will contact you.

Share This