Stafford Rangers 2 – 2 Telford United

Sep 12, 2020Club News

In a game that saw two strong teams cancel each other out for the first half hour, Rangers took the lead with a neat finish from Joe Cuff after some good approach work from Kenton and a Candlin shot that was blocked, Cuff found the bottom corner. Telford immediately struck straight back through Williams who turned home after King parried a Daniels shot into his path. The game then switched end to end for the rest of the half as momentum was raised. Callum Coyle dragged a shot wide from 18 yards as Telford escaped danger, while at the other end Vaughan supplied Oswell whose volley across goal was safely gathered by King.

Half time saw a whole new Telford side take the field so their fresh legs were expected to test their hosts, but they stood up well to the test. Expectedly, Telford were quick out of the blocks and had the first attack that Rangers rear guard dealt with efficiently.

On 53 minutes Telford took the lead as McHale won the ball, taking advantage of some rare slack cover from Rangers, worked his way into the right of the box and finished inside the near post. As they pushed for another, this time they only got as far as 18 yards as Rangers blocked the incoming effort. Rangers got back on terms with yet another excellent turn and finish from half time sub Jamie Sleigh, as the ball was worked on the right and delivered into his feet he turned and confidently finished.

After that, the dangerous McHale again tested King and Hardy hit the post after sending King the wrong way while Candlin hit the bar from around 30 yards for the hosts, via a sight deflection in the dying stages. Rangers pre-season schedule drew to a close with a strong performance against senior opposition, with a number of players missing, with Manager Jody Banim commenting “I thought it was a really great challenge against a team I think can be challenging towards the play offs in the division above us.”

In his post match interview, Jody also confirmed the signing of Reece Jones after his release from Stoke City.

King, M. Williams, Keane, Burns, Harvey, Sebbeh-Njie, Kenton (Jones), J. Williams, Cuff (Thorley), Coyle, Candlin


Starting XI for the first half: Rawlins, Streete, Sutton, Meppen-Walter, Vaughan, Smith-Brown, Byrne, Walker, Daniels, Williams, Oswell.

Second half XI: Trialist, Trialist, Lilly, White, Trialist, McHale, Cowans, Bower, Hardy, Barnes-Homer, Davies.

Att 430
Report by Alan Gee

Share This